what you will need:
- 1 kg zucchini (long slender zucchinis without seeds), washed and cut the two edges
- 300 gr potatoes, peeled
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 400 gr homemade cheese or mizithra or ricotta (crumbled).
- 100 gr feta (crumbled)
- 100 gr kefalotiri or parmesan (grated)
- 3 tablespoons of fresh pepper mind finely chopped or 1 tablespoon dried
- 200 ml olive oil
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 20 gr sesame seeds
for the batter:
- 90 gr of all purpose flour
- 260 gr of whole milk
- salt and pepper
recipe step by step
- Cut the zucchini, the potatoes and the tomatoes in very slim slices. Place them in different bowls.
- Mix the cheeses and peppermint in a large bowl.
Assemble the boureki:
1. Oil 1/3 of the olive oil at the bottom of a roasting pan and sprinkle 1 tbsp breadcrumbs.
2. Cover the bottom of the roasting pan with potatoes. Season and drizzle 1/5 of the cheese mix over the potatoes.
3. Place a layer of zucchini, sprinkle 1 tbsp breadcrumbs and drizzle 1/5 of cheese mix.
4. Place the second layer of zucchini. Scatter the slices of tomato and sprinkle 1/5 of the cheese mix.
5. Place the third layer of zucchini and sprinkle again 1/5 of the cheese mix.
6. Then lay the last layer of zucchini. Drizzle the rest of the olive oil on top.
7. In a bowl mix the milk and the flour. Mix gently the rest of cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Pure the batter on top of the veggies. Sprinkle the sesame on the top.
9. Cover with foil and bake it in the preheated oven for 50 min in 2000 C. After 50 minutes, bake uncovered for another 30 minutes in 1800 C until it become golden and it is fork-tender.
10. Allow it to cool ½ an hour before cutting into. It is served warm at room temperature, but it is also delicious the next day.
- Zucchini and potatoes should be in very thin slices.
- The slices of vegetables should be placed so that they slightly overlap each other.
- The quantities of materials are enough for a 35×25 deep rectangular pan.
- Be careful not to use too much salt. The cheese usually has a lot of salt.